Windows MIME type detection pitfalls
I’ve been doing some Django development lately, and was mystified why it seemed the debug toolbar on my local development instance wasn’t showing up, though it had been in the past. It turns out to have been a surprising interaction between browsers sometimes enforcing that resources be served with correct MIME types and the way Windows provides system-wide MIME type configuration (which seems to have major flaws)!
Investigating further, I found that the markup for the debug toolbar was in fact being generated and placed in the pages served by my development server, but not being shown. I guess that there may have been a recent update to
django-debug-toolbar that may have broken it, and found that version 3.0 (quickly followed by 3.1) had recently been released. Downgrading to version 2.2 fixed the issue, so I was confident I hadn’t somehow misconfigured the debug toolbar.
Looking more closely at the browser console, I noticed an important error message:
Loading module from “http://localhost:8000/static/debug_toolbar/js/toolbar.js” was blocked because of a disallowed MIME type (“text/plain”).
It seems that
Content-Type. Why is that?
MIME type guessing
django.view.static.serve view. Of particular note here, it uses the
mimetypes module to guess the MIME type of files based on their name:
Digging into what
mimetypes does, it’s documented to read mappings from the registry on Windows, and from a set of known paths on all other operating systems. The relevant code for loading mappings from the registry looks like this:
In short: it enumerates keys in
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, ignoring any that don’t have a name starting with “.” and uses the value of a “Content Type” subkey (if present) as the MIME type for files with that extension.
As far as this goes, it seems quite reasonable. Microsoft document
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT as a combined view of system-wide and per-user filetype associations, and the “Content Type” subkey may be set to a file type’s MIME type.
Opening up the registry editor on my system, I do see that the value of
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.js\Content Type is
text/plain. So this is where Python got the incorrect MIME type from, and I can fix it by changing the value of
Content Type. For instance, this snippet in a .reg file (maybe
js.reg) can be imported to set a correct MIME time for .js files, changing a per-user setting if set or the global one otherwise:
Problems with this system
While it seems abstractly reasonable for programs to use the registry-based mechanism for getting file MIME types, the other ways it is used in practice seems inappropriate for these purposes.
As a Django-based example, I found a Stack Overflow question with similar incorrect MIME type while investigating my initial problem. While the original question asker arrived at a workaround of manually configuring a correct MIME type in Python, after investigation it seems clear that the problem is better considered a system misconfiguration and I feel correcting the data in the registry is more appropriate.1
Python isn’t even the only platform that suffers from certain prevalence of incorrect MIME types in the Windows registry. A fairly recent bug for the Go language indicates that the standard library for Go uses the same approach for guessing MIME types, with the same tendency to get wrong data.
application/octet-stream because Python won’t find any configuration, which seems incorrect.
Fixing the problem once and for all
While it would be relatively easy to ship a reasonable MIME type mapping with Python or Django (indeed, Go seems to do this and use values from the registry instead if available), doing so would only fix the default case where no value is set.
The root problem with MIME type guessing on Windows seems to be that incorrect types often get written to the registry. It’s not obvious where these incorrect values come from, but I suppose the bad data tends to be written by some programs when they are configured to open those files. It seems like these programs might be badly-behaved when they do this since associating a file type with a program doesn’t necessarily say anything about the file’s MIME type, but it seems widespread enough that fixing that is intractable.
While it is possible to provide “correct” MIME type mappings with software (and this will often work around the problem with Windows), doing so is not correct in all cases because users may sometimes want non-standard mappings and it’s not possible to tell the difference between a mapping that has intentionally been set to an unusual value and one that was accidentally set that way.
Aspirationally, changes to the
mimetypes API in Python (or similar ones in Go, I suppose) might improve the situation for many users. An option could be added that would tell the system to either ignore or prefer user-configured mappings, allowing applications to choose their preferred mode. However, doing so pushes complexity onto application authors in ways that probably cannot be predicted in all situations, which would mean the option would need to be exposed to application users to be set as required.
As best I can tell, the least-wrong solution to the situation of users often ending up with incorrect MIME type mappings on Windows is to make the problem more widely known so new software doesn’t misbehave in the same ways around writing bad mappings, and users have an easier time of correcting the problem if it does occur.2
Now you know!
I filed a bug against Django after doing this investigation myself, and found a proposal from 2008 that Django ship default MIME types for these purposes. It remains to be seen what the Django developers think of the situation. ↩︎
If APIs were changed to allow specifying the preferred source of mappings then better documentation would be needed anyway, so end users could be aware of the option if it were needed. ↩︎